6.24.2014

Mermaid Parade!

All photos are copyrighted Rachel McMinn June 2014


Ever since I was a small child, I have absolutely been infatuated with mermaids. The first time I saw Ariel, I wanted to be her (maybe that's why I found a husband with red hair?). One of my first Halloweens, I had my Mom make me an Ariel costume. I remember that costume fondly, with the beautiful sea inspired headband and wand to go with it! Each bath time or pool time or ocean time I would pretend my legs were melded together into one beautiful long flipper to dash through the water with. I dreamed that I had shiny, iridescent scales on my flipper so I would catch the sun's rays as I danced through the waves. Instead of a fish as a best friend, I always pictured myself teaming up with a dolphin or beluga whale. We'd get into all sorts of under sea mischief, and collect all manner of important sea shells, drift woods and human items washed out to sea. But, as we all know, you can't grow up and be a mermaid (no matter how hard you wish upon the stars).



Fortunately for me, the annual Coney Island Mermaid Parade allows me to revisit my childhood dreams and whimsy. Maybe one year I'll actually concoct an outfit and join the parade! The first Saturday of Summer every year, the streets (and subway cars!) are filled with sea creatures! It's been a couple of years since I've gone to the parade, but not too much changed. There are some fancy new rides at Coney Island, but even the Stillwell Avenue facades haven't been impacted too much. Three blocks are cordoned off to allow for a fantastic barrage of scantily clad people in shimmery fabrics and hot glued sea shells to dance and "swim" through the streets.




I must say, there were many more mermaids on their iPhones than I've encountered in previous years, but for the most part there was the same level of pep and excitement that I have come to expect from the parade. Plus, how can you not have a great day when you get to finish the parade with a delicious hot dog from the Original Nathan's? With a large, cool, ice-filled lemonade to ease that dog down, there isn't anything I can imagine being more American.



We continued our day at the shore with a trip to the Coney Island Sideshow. There was everything you could possibly ask for- fire, humongous nails, sword-swallowing, body contorting, a bed of nails, an audience member pumped with electricity . . . fun was had by all. Now I just hope that John doesn't ask for sideshow classes for his birthday!


Then, to round out the day, we sat on the cool sand and looked out to the ocean. The persistent scent of marijuana kind of ruined my enjoyment of the ocean view, but I tried to tune it out and breathe with the waves. It's Coney Island, so you don't really expect a beautiful, clean beach to begin with--but it would have been nice to smell the salty spray of the sea. Instead I pouted with a yummy ice cream cone and looked at the worsening sunburn on my shoulders as we made our way back to the subway station.



Til next year, dear Mermaids, when we meet again on the longest day of the year.

1 comment: